This morning, I saw the most amazing rainbow. It was huge and I could see the entire thing from one end to the other. I screeched in excitement and Jackson looked at me like I must be crazy. But you know, it's the little things.
It was cloudy, raining and sunny at all the same time. What a funny day for it, because that seems to describe my mood over the past couple of weeks. I believe the honeymoon period is wearing off, and being out of my comfort zone is soooo ..not comfortable.
I recognize and understand that a large part of what I am feeling is because I don't have friends here yet. So, I was thrilled to get an invitation to coffee last Friday with the moms of year 2 at Hollie's school. There was an event at the school on Friday, so one of the moms sent an email recommending we all get together for coffee. I had Brynn, but figured I could manage through having her with me. I bought her a few new books, and some stickers, and off we went. We dropped Hollie off at school, found a rock star parking spot (which is virtually impossible) and headed off walking to the coffee shop. When we arrived, no one was there. So, I thought, it must be the other coffee shop - they are just around the corner from each other, but only the one is on Coonabara (the email said let's meet for coffee at Coonabara)..but, no one at that shop either. So we walk around a bit and go back to the first shop..still no one. At this point, I head with Brynn back to Hollie's school. There is a field day of sorts going on, and after a bit, I see the other moms of Y2 girls on the other side of the field, in a group. So Brynn and I go over, and I spoke to the Mom who set up coffee, and she said "Oh....We were at Coonabara cafe!" which apparently is not on Coonabara (???). So, I met some of the ladies, who were friendly enough. But it was only a few minutes before Brynn was bored and wanted to tear into everything, run in the middle of races going on, beg to go into the child care center and then pitch a fit accordingly when I said no, etc. I spent most of the time chasing Brynn and was not able to do much talking with the other moms. But you know, that is life with a three year old! At the same time, I was thoroughly disapponted because there are literally about 3 events a year that parents are invited to, and I was really hoping to meet some people there.
By Saturday, I decided to get over myself, and I emailed one of the moms and asked if she'd like to get our girls together sometime. Turns out that she has a daughter the same age as Brynn, so she responded asking if I'd like to grab coffee and take the little ones to the park. Yes, I think this is a great idea!
I also realize that part of my problem is an adjustment to Jeff's job. He always spent a lot of time working. We both started working at night again as soon as our kids were in bed. Good, bad, or indifferent - it's just the way it was. But now, he is working much longer hours in the office, and when he gets home, he generally eats dinner with us and then goes right back to work. Of course, his job has given us this great opportunity, so I have to take the good with the bad. I just miss him. : (
And so, there is my whine. Said, done, and moving on..
Thursday, 16 June 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment