Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Australian House and Garden Magazine

This is definitely a first (and 99.9% likely to the the last) - Our house was featured in the September edition of Australian House and Garden magazine. 
Not our whole house - only the kitchen.  Good thing, since I threw various articles of clothing, toys, papers, and probably a few few items into the kids playroom before the photographers arrived. Imagine if they had wanted to see the playroom...



I saw that our point board was in the picture on the second page and for a brief moment I had a pit in my stomach wondering if this was on the board during the photo shoot:



I must add the disclaimer here that Jeff rarely raises his voice to the kids, much less says swear words to them.  But on the day this was written, Hollie had made a mess and was not attempting to clean up whatsoever, and it was a "clean up this shit!" kind of comment.  Okay, now that I've made my husband sound like a saint, I can move on.

I also sort of expected them to replace the fridge in the pantry to a wine fridge in the photo.  I'm not even sure they can do that, but I thought they wouldn't really want our little white soda fridge in the picture.  We don't really drink enough wine to justify a wine fridge, but the soda consumption in this house (aka Jeff) is a bit high.  And this is why we have an entirely separate fridge for soda.  Even as I type that, I realize how ridiculous that is.

They asked about our things - where we bought, how much, etc.. to add in the buyers guide at the end of the magazine.  They were in shock at the barstools, which were $49 from TJ Maxx.  WHAT?  49 dollars for a barstool!?  I tell you, stuff is expensive in Australia.

Of course, we really have nothing to do with the fact that our house was selected.  We didn't design it, or have it built.  The architect submitted pictures to the magazine and that was how it came to be.  Rachel, the architect, is a really lovely girl.  She went to Abbotsleigh, where Hollie goes to school, and we've had some good chats about that.  She actually went to school with the owner of our house.  I really like her (Rachel) and try to not complain about the house when she asks - like how the owners are super slow to get help for anything (help - there is a pipe leaking from the bathroom into the room below...help - there is a dead possum in our roof.  help - our lights are smoking....).  Well, I did say that Australians are pretty chilled and relaxed...

No comments:

Post a Comment