Friday, 12 August 2011
Jax and KFC (Fitness, not chicken)
I think I mentioned before that all boys at Knox are required to play a sport. Each sport goes for two terms - there are winter sports and summer sports. During a day, the boys have PE, but also have sport. They also have sport practice one day after school and on Saturdays.
Random fact: Sports events here are called "fixtures".
Jackson started in term 2, which is when the winter sports start. Rugby is huge here, but he has never played, so he didn't want to go with that. He will learn that in PE, anyway. He decided to go with KFC - Knox Fitness Club. We thought great, he'll get some exercise, learn more about working out, etc.
I will tell you that we had no idea what he was getting into....
A sport practice lasts for 90 minutes. In a normal session, Jax will end up running several miles, doing sprints, running up and down the oval stairs ( the fields are called ovals here), passing medicine balls, and push ups. Lots and lots of push ups. The past several sessions, the boys have done 160 pushups 160!! I just cannot wrap my head around that. They do 80 of one kind, and 80 of another. AND - if they are done incorrectly, or if anyone cheats (say they did more than they actually did) - they start over. Their coach tells them that he is interested in building both muscles and character. (I love that!) And, then it seems each session, there are new exercises to be done.
Now with that said, I cannot believe how much Jax has grown since being here. Not necessarily in a muscular sort of way, although I'm sure that's a lot of it. He's about 6ft now!
When I've mentioned the program to other moms around here, they said ohhh..yes, the fitness club there is like boot camp.
As an aside, parents are not allowed to coach, yell at, or berate their kids during sporting events. Love this! We get a weekly newsletter (19-20 pages long, no kidding), and this is mentioned quite a bit. It's more about being proud of your boy, encouraging him to do his best, and then congratulating him on his game.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment