Wednesday, 24 August 2011

More Random Words and Expressions..

I am learning more words and expressions by the day.

Aussie Term------- American Term

Bench:  Counter (We eat breakfast at the bench)

Rubber:  Eraser.  I heard a great story yesterday about a lady asking a guy in America for a rubber.  

Smash : Car Crash

Chemist : Drug Store

Jumper : Sweater

Mince: Ground meat (beef, lamb)

Hundreds and thousands: Sprinkles (you would put on cookies, cupcakes, etc).  

Petrol : Gasoline .  I was kindly told "you are buying PETROL, not GAS" when I went in to pay for my GAS.

Lifesaver: Lifeguard

Post: Mail .  For example, you would post a letter or package.  

Queue: Line .  The queue at Costco is out of control.

Give it a go!  : Give it a try.  I say this all the time to my kids.  Jackson rolls his eyes at me when I do.

Rubbish: Garbage

Runners: Sneakers

Swimmer: Swimsuit

Bikie: Member of a bike gang.

Uni: University

College: K-12

Ute: Pickup truck

Zed : The letter "Z"

Heche: The letter "H"

Sunnies: Sunglasses  (Love this one)

SMS : Text message

Biscuit: Cookie

No comments:

Post a Comment