Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Two Little Fishies...

The kids are on a two week holiday from school.  This holiday period between terms is shorter than the last (which was almost 4 weeks).  A lot of people here travel out of the country during these breaks.  One of Hollie's friends from school is in New York at the moment, and of course MeanGirl had to tell Hollie that she was headed to Raleigh.  She mentioned this multiple times to Hollie, once in front of Jeff, who asked what she was planning to do there.  She said "I don't know".  Now don't get me wrong, I love Raleigh.  But if I were an Aussie travelling from Australia to the US - would Raleigh really be the place I would go?  


I thought of taking the kids on a short trip somewhere in Australia during this break (Jeff is buried at work) but decided that we needed to focus on swimming instead.  The girls have been taking swim classes once per week, but I signed them up for daily classes during the holidays.  Hollie had grown timid again around the water, while Brynn is the polar opposite and is not afraid at all (and yet she cannot swim).  So, both could benefit from the classes.


Hollie had not swam the length of the pool since beginning classes - rather, she would swim the width since it was a shorter distance.  On her second day of class last week, her teacher said "You can do this, come on Hollie, you can do this..." and Hollie told me later that she felt like it would have been rude to say "Back off lady..." so she gave it a go (insert Jackson rolling eyes at me with my Aussie phrase there).  




And she did it!  I have never seen her so proud of herself.  It doesn't matter that the pool is small, because it was such a big deal to her.  She could not stop talking about it, and couldn't wait to do it again the next day.  


And Brynn was just as excited. She doesn't stop smiling from the time her class starts.  She swims with a bubble on her back, but hopefully she'll be off on her own before too long.






I love the swim school.  The owners are fantastic, and I've met a lot of nice people there - I dare say I've got a couple of friends there!

No comments:

Post a Comment